Monday, May 7, 2012

Music.....

     I love music; I love playing music either on the piano, the guitar the radio, my IPOD or singing. I have been singing ever since I learned to talk according to my Mother. I cannot remember a time that I did not feel like singing or listening to or playing music.

     Today as I started my daily run through my home, getting it back in shape, you know, after the Sunday rush I had my music playing and I was singing along with it when the song took me back to my younger days. I am amazed by the effect music has on not only me but others. 

     I remember when my children were young and just my singing to them would soothe a hurt or sad little one. I remember singing them to sleep, as they got older they would request the songs for me to sing and sometimes they would sing along. I can still hear them singing along with me as I sang "Puff the Magic Dragon" or "I Am A Child of God", they loved the songs as much as I did and still do. 
     I love singing to my little grandsons and the fact that they seem to enjoy it as much as their daddy's did when they were little. They like to help me play my guitar.

     I think of being a teenager and the songs my friends and I would listen to. You could tell the mood of the moment by the music we listened to. When we had boy troubles we would sit in my parents living room in the rocking chairs with the lights off and listen to Neil Diamond's tape; (dating myself here) "Stones", and we would talk of the current love of our life. When we were getting ready for the  Saturday night dances it would be some up beat tune, like of I don't know the Carpenters, Doobie Brothers, the Eagles or some other group of the time.

     I think of the music I chose for my wedding reception, back in the day we had someone sing the songs not DJ's or prerecorded music, I still love the songs that were sung. I remember the songs I sang at several of my friends wedding receptions.

     Some of my favorite memories involve music. I am thankful to my Father in Heaven for the gift of music, for the gift of being able to sing and play the music I love. I am grateful for my earthly Father and the talent of singing he has passed on to me. My Father could and still can sing the birds out of the trees, he has a beautiful voice. I am thankful for a daughter and a sister that I sing with and the joy it brings. I love music.....

2 comments:

Ashley Benning said...

YES! Music is such a blessing, and it's easy to take it for granted when it's so readily available. When I was living in AZ and didn't have a piano in my house I felt the loss. This post was a great reminder for me. Thanks!

•stephanie• said...

what in the world would we do without music?
{saturday night dances? don't forget chicago and bread!}