
I am warning in advance this is going to be a long one. This past Sunday, (the 29th) Grandpa, Grandma, Aunt Robyn & I took another "road trip". We went to Gallup, New Mexico so as to go and find our Great Grandpa who is buried in Laguna, New Mexico, this is an Indian Reservation. Sunday evening upon arriving in Gallup we went and found my Great Grandpa William Charles Burgess & Great Grandma Lilly Cora's graves. I & Aunt Robyn had never seen them. They were totally over grown with huge bushes and the bushes waere so big they were pushing the head stones off both the graves. We went and bought pruning shears and gloves so as to be able to clean up around the grave site. We spent about 1 hour there taking care of it all. Let me say that marble head stones are not an easy thing to be moving, but we did it. It does look better, not the best, we really needed shovels, to dig up the stumps, we were not really sure we wanted to be digging in the grave area anyway!! ick!! After finishing up there at the cemetery we headed back to our hotel room to clean up and pack the auto. Off to Laguna we went, we were praying all the way that we would have success. Prayer works I know this. We were so blessed on this trip. I had not been able to reach Ted the tribal leader who has been helping us since our trip in March, so we went on faith. We arrived in Laguna and I still had not been in contact with Ted. We went to the tribal office
and the receptionist remembered us from March. She even tried to reach Ted with no luck so she tried to reach Frank he was in a meeting. Another woman came in and asked if she could help? Let me say that she was the answer to our prayers. She said she had just recently noticed that there was a grave yard back in where she lives, she hadn't been up to it to check it out, she only knew it was there, she mentioned another one she was aware of also. Anyway, she said she would take us to give it a look. As we were driving there I just knew it had to be. We drove to the site and then we hiked up the hill and found the cemetery. We

walked through the opening, it was a very large space, I noticed off to my right a couple of head stones, one of which was just as I had seen in my mind, I got there are quickly as possible, and sure enough right there on top on this beautiful marble head stone was the name William. I had tears run down my face, we had found Grandpa, he is there and I have seen it, and so has Aunt Robyn & Grandma. The next hurdle was how to get Grandpa up to it? It was quit a hike to get to it. I asked Antonett if I could please take some picutres? She was not so sure, they do not believe in taking picutes of the dead, it will take their souls. She helped us get Grandpa up to the site, and then she said we could take all the time we needed and all the pictures we wanted. I cried as I thanked her.

We spoke with Antonett about Grandpa and how he lived among the Launga and Zuni people, we spoke of how until March we all believeed that we were part Laguna, that this is what our Grandma had told her family. She then explaned to me that Grandpa most likely had been adopted into the tribe therefore we also would be their people, so maybe we are Laguna. She has invited us back in September to their Festival and asked us to eat at her home. This is an honor! What a story to tell, I feel Father in Heaven truely blessed us in our effort to find our Great Grandpa.
1 comment:
Great job mom. I know this means a lot to your parents, especially grandpa. I know he's been searching for awhile now. It's great that he's been found and that you were able to clean up is burial grounds. :)
Post a Comment